Sunday 10 August 2008

Good news all round!

I am totally psyched today because my EBJD, which turned out to be male, has paired up with a sweet little female I got for him last weekend. I'm expecting eggs in the next week. So pleased!

In other news, last weekend was a bit of a blip in my 'no-more-fish' policy. I went a little overboard and splashed out on a female HRP, a pair of 4" Blackbelts (V. maculicauda), the aforementioned female Jack Dempsey and a pair of Rams. Oops!

Other than the fish being stunning, the pairs were all looking like they were going to breed very soon, so I couldn't resist. God knows if I'll be able to keep the Blackbelt pair long-term (they hit the 14" mark), but if the jags will put up with them (once I've removed their fry) then there's hope.

All the fry are growing well still. I now have three female multicolor with mouths full of eggs! Those guys are really precocious, as they've got to be only 1.5" long.

Other good news is that my Firemouth pair have come back from the brink of death and fought off their Lymphocystis infection. The male was looking amazing yesterday as he has a black border to his anal and caudal fins, which I've never noticed on other Firemouths before. I think they might breed again soon too, which would be fantastic.

I sold some fish: the male Channa sp. Assam and a couple of male multicolor. I'm also taking a few Port acaras and angelfish down to Hastings for my friends Chris and Jenny tomorrow morning. Nice to finally be making some space in the fishroom for the impending quantities of fry.

Just fell in love with another fish species I heard about on the MFK forum: Parachromis sp. La Ceiba 'Yellow Head'.

No comments:

Introduction

I have always been fascinated by cichlids. They are among the most stunningly beautiful of fishes; they come in all shapes and sizes (there is a cichlid to suit everyone); and they have some seriously awesome behaviour. Since I started keeping fish 15 years ago I have kept and bred several species, but I never had enough tanks to house all the individual pairs I wanted (and their subsequent fry). In April '08, I was lucky enough to have a space-heated fishroom built into the garage conversion my girlfriend and I were having done. This diary is my way of keeping track of all my fish breeding projects. I hope you find it informative!