Friday 15 August 2008

The road to BGJDs

I was expecting spawns this week and the fish haven't let me down.

The Blackbelts spawned, but sadly the male didn't do his job properly so the eggs are infertile. What's surprising is how big the eggs are. They're huge.

More exciting is the fact that, as predicted, the EBJD x JD pair have spawned and the eggs look to be fertilised. I'm really pleased because it's nearly a year since I last had a similar spawn and this time I feel really good about being able to raise the young.

The mouthbrooder females look hilarious because the eggs have all become fry and each female has a gob full of wriggling babies which they can barely contain.

Amber has been doing wondrous things with the feeding regime, so the baby jags and baby cutteri are all looking like little porkers.

Going to pick up some Polleni next week with Chris. They shouldn't be too big, so I think they'll go in with the angels and acaras for a little while at least. Ultimately they'll get their own tank.

Just had some news today that I might be able to get hold of the Parachromis sp. mentioned in the last post. Watch this space.

No comments:

Introduction

I have always been fascinated by cichlids. They are among the most stunningly beautiful of fishes; they come in all shapes and sizes (there is a cichlid to suit everyone); and they have some seriously awesome behaviour. Since I started keeping fish 15 years ago I have kept and bred several species, but I never had enough tanks to house all the individual pairs I wanted (and their subsequent fry). In April '08, I was lucky enough to have a space-heated fishroom built into the garage conversion my girlfriend and I were having done. This diary is my way of keeping track of all my fish breeding projects. I hope you find it informative!