Saturday 12 July 2008

Better Days

Wahey! Only lost one fish this week: one of the two remaining sajicas. The other is back to full health.

The antibiotics certainly haven't worked a miracle, but at the same time things in the two 4' tanks are getting better. The Chocolate cichlids have regained their zest for life (or at least food!) and two of the Festae look like they might pull through. I suspect that the male Festae might be on borrowed time though. Very sad.

Simon P. came to take another cube tank today. As predicted his only major objection to the fish was that it was too small and didn't have enough tanks crammed into it!

To summarise some points: the jags still have their wrigglers (thousands of them); the cutteri young are growing well; I counted sixteen baby bristlenoses - the pair have spawned for a second time this week; and the Goldeneyes appear to be getting ready to breed.

It's all looking hopeful for having a decent amount of fish ready in time for the BCA auction on the 12th October. Might finally get to go to an cution and cover my costs with fish sales!

No comments:

Introduction

I have always been fascinated by cichlids. They are among the most stunningly beautiful of fishes; they come in all shapes and sizes (there is a cichlid to suit everyone); and they have some seriously awesome behaviour. Since I started keeping fish 15 years ago I have kept and bred several species, but I never had enough tanks to house all the individual pairs I wanted (and their subsequent fry). In April '08, I was lucky enough to have a space-heated fishroom built into the garage conversion my girlfriend and I were having done. This diary is my way of keeping track of all my fish breeding projects. I hope you find it informative!