Saturday 26 July 2008

Lymphocystis? WTF?!!!

Been on holiday this week, so Noel was looking after the fish for a few days.

Got back home on Thursday to find free swimming Bangui fry, which was good, and the dried body of one of my male Jack Dempseys under the 4' rack, which was bad. Really gutted about that actually. Guess he must've jumped out unnoticed. Oh well, at least I still have Mojo (my other male).

Also discovered that somehow my Firemouth pair both have Lymphocystis, of all things. I imagine the wild male con I got off Simon P. was carrying it (he's had fish die from it recently) and passed it on to the Firemouths. They've been isolated, but they don't look good. The female JD, female con and female Rainbow all look like they have it too. Apparently under good water conditions it heals itself, so I guess I have some water changes to do tomorrow morning! I'm just grateful that the HRP males are fine. They both look awesome.

All the fry are doing well. Did a water change on the jag tank today as I noticed that a few fry have started to die off (although there are still hundreds left). I was really worried I'd suck some fry into the pump, but luckily the parents did a grand job of herding them out of harm's way.

To be honest I think it's going to be a while yet before all my tanks have settled down and I stop getting sick fish. Sometimes I think it would be easier to cull any stock showing signs of illness in order to wipe the slate clean (a method recommended in the fish diseases book I have!). Sadly I'm a bit too attached to some of the fish to give up on them just yet.

No comments:

Introduction

I have always been fascinated by cichlids. They are among the most stunningly beautiful of fishes; they come in all shapes and sizes (there is a cichlid to suit everyone); and they have some seriously awesome behaviour. Since I started keeping fish 15 years ago I have kept and bred several species, but I never had enough tanks to house all the individual pairs I wanted (and their subsequent fry). In April '08, I was lucky enough to have a space-heated fishroom built into the garage conversion my girlfriend and I were having done. This diary is my way of keeping track of all my fish breeding projects. I hope you find it informative!