Monday 1 September 2008

Mixed news

The Bangui pair ate their fry again. Very odd for what were such good parents. I think they are upset about no having enough space or something.

The BGJD eggs hatched on Friday, so I know my male EBJD isn't firing blanks. Bizarrely he went psycho on Friday night when I was showing my mate Dan the fish room. He was trying to kill the female, so I had to rush in with a divider. Thankfully the female didn't abandon her fry and things are still looking good today.

I bought 4 new bettas on Friday: a male red veiltail; a male red and blue (metallic) crowntail (World of Water, Kent); a male fuchsia and blue butterfly veiltail (PetPaks, Hardwick) and a red plakat female (PetPaks, Hardwick).

Spawned the new crowntail to my copper over red female crowntail on Saturday. The male is currently guarding eggs.

Sold my pair of kribs (to Simon M.)and a pair of P. multicolor to George Milner off the OBE Forum.

In other news: the jag pair look like they want to spawn again, so I removed half the fry in case the parents do spawn and decide to eat their last batch!

Final bit of good news: my male sp. Fiamanga has perked up no end and is now swimming about the tank very happily indeed. Annoyingly one of the females I have has a misshapen mouth, so I think she'll have to be culled.

No comments:

Introduction

I have always been fascinated by cichlids. They are among the most stunningly beautiful of fishes; they come in all shapes and sizes (there is a cichlid to suit everyone); and they have some seriously awesome behaviour. Since I started keeping fish 15 years ago I have kept and bred several species, but I never had enough tanks to house all the individual pairs I wanted (and their subsequent fry). In April '08, I was lucky enough to have a space-heated fishroom built into the garage conversion my girlfriend and I were having done. This diary is my way of keeping track of all my fish breeding projects. I hope you find it informative!