Thursday 29 May 2008

Baby Jewels

As expected, the Banguis have been busy over the last few days. They brought out their free swimming fry for the first time today. Can't wait to meet them!

Hopefully I can syphon them off into a small growout tank. Would be nice to raise more than two, which is all I managed form the last batch (though they are very cute!).

The problem with the last attempt was that I didn't have a fishroom ready, so I had to try and save some fry in a livebearer breeding trap, which turned out to be a useless fry tank. The nice thing about the Bangui is that the fry will eat microworms and ZM100 fry food from day 1.

Must resurrect my microworm cultures!

No comments:

Introduction

I have always been fascinated by cichlids. They are among the most stunningly beautiful of fishes; they come in all shapes and sizes (there is a cichlid to suit everyone); and they have some seriously awesome behaviour. Since I started keeping fish 15 years ago I have kept and bred several species, but I never had enough tanks to house all the individual pairs I wanted (and their subsequent fry). In April '08, I was lucky enough to have a space-heated fishroom built into the garage conversion my girlfriend and I were having done. This diary is my way of keeping track of all my fish breeding projects. I hope you find it informative!