Thursday 29 May 2008

Xanthic carrier spawn

Old post from 27/05/08

The xanthic carrier jags spawned today. Just got the confirmation text. Ian tells me that it can take over two weeks before the fry become free swimming, so I won't get too excited just yet. The parents took three days just to clean the spawning site to their satisfaction!

I have decided that the xanthic gene should be labelled 'Y' (for yellow colouration). With this in mind, the Punnet square that predicts how the offspring will turn out should look like this:

Y y
--------------
Y YY Yy

y Yy yy

So, 25% normal, 50% xanthic carriers (which are apparently phenotypically distinct from normals), and 25% xanthic.

This is what Ian seems to have got from the last spawn with the same female, but only time will tell whether or not the fry he believes to be xanthic really are. The same goes for whether or not the carriers will be distinct from the normals. I must remember to ask.

For now I have to start worrying about the best way to feed the fry when they start swimming.

No comments:

Introduction

I have always been fascinated by cichlids. They are among the most stunningly beautiful of fishes; they come in all shapes and sizes (there is a cichlid to suit everyone); and they have some seriously awesome behaviour. Since I started keeping fish 15 years ago I have kept and bred several species, but I never had enough tanks to house all the individual pairs I wanted (and their subsequent fry). In April '08, I was lucky enough to have a space-heated fishroom built into the garage conversion my girlfriend and I were having done. This diary is my way of keeping track of all my fish breeding projects. I hope you find it informative!