Thursday 29 May 2008

Gold farming!

24th - 26th June. Bank Holiday Weekend!

Got the six foot tank moved onto the floor in the fishroom and set it up to hold a pair of xanthic carrier jags. My mate Ian is lending me his female to look after while he's away in Africa. As a result, phase one of our xanthic jag breeding program has started. The two fish have been busily cleaning a spawning site all weekend, so I have high hopes for a large spawn in the near future, 25% of which will be xanthic, just like their grandfather:



The two four foot tanks in the fishroom still both have high nitrite levels, which is bad news, but hopefully I can doo some big water chages next weekend. Hopefully the sponge filters will kick in soon!

BULLETS:

- Female Honduran Red Point improving after treatment with Sterazin. Trying to fatten her up with eggs so I can reintroduce her to the male. I recently found out that they are probably 'Rio Danli' strain.

- Moved JD x EBJD pair into their own tank.

- Shifted the two spare Bangui jewels to Simon in exchange for five of his home-bred Blockheads (I really hope I got at least one female in there!). This means I now have 7 Blockheads in one 24" tank in the fishroom.

- Put a pair of cutteri in the 30" office tank. Used the male withe the most red in his fins. All my female Cutteri are showing their egg-laying tubes now.

- Festae have started to pair.

- I have HRP x Convict fry and Bangui fry this weekend.

No comments:

Introduction

I have always been fascinated by cichlids. They are among the most stunningly beautiful of fishes; they come in all shapes and sizes (there is a cichlid to suit everyone); and they have some seriously awesome behaviour. Since I started keeping fish 15 years ago I have kept and bred several species, but I never had enough tanks to house all the individual pairs I wanted (and their subsequent fry). In April '08, I was lucky enough to have a space-heated fishroom built into the garage conversion my girlfriend and I were having done. This diary is my way of keeping track of all my fish breeding projects. I hope you find it informative!